Sunday, December 24, 2017

Dry Winter Air


What to do when the winter air is dry.  Your skin is drying out, cracking, flaking & itchy. Your hair is frizzing, dry, static filled, flying away & not lying flat? 

You can spend tons of money & time on product to put on your skin & hair.  Sometimes finding the right product for your her problem & type of hair you have.   I found that some of the products out there "fixed" the one problem but made another.   So what do we do then?

I researched & tried different stuff.  In my research I found some good tips to apply to me at least, but will share in case you had no idea about them.

First tip: Turn the temp on the shower water down.   I understand the  need for a hot hot shower.  I have been there.   But for the hot hot shower time keep your hair out of it.   With the cooler temps it will help with the itch dry skin.   

Second tip: After the shower towel dry your hair & add a little oil.  Yes, oil!!  You can use olive oil, coconut oil or jojoba oil, just for some examples.  When you use oil, please start with a very small amount, you can add more as you go.   Start with the ends & work your way up from there. I keep the oil away from my scalp. I don't need extra oil there.  I needed it at my ends & up from there.  Comb or brush your hair from the ends & work your way up.   This will help spread it through your hair. Rub the oil in your hands to put it on your hair.   Then you can spread it on your face if you needed it there or other places on your body.

Third tip: Have a spray bottle with water in it, in the bathroom.   I spray water on my dry hair to help get rid of the dry frizz fly away & then style it.   Then through my day, when I go to use the bathroom after I wash my hands, I use the water from my hands, I apply it to my hair.  The reason for the touch ups is great because my hair is getting dried out during the day & needs a little refreshing drink.

Fourth tip: Wash hair less!  And skip the conditioners. Conditioners may be adding to your problem.   Over washing stripes the natural hair oil from your hair & dries it out.  

Fifth tip: Skip the blow dryer.  If you must use it, use the lower heat temp for a shorter time.  If you use the curling Irons, Flat Irons etc. it's drying out our hair.  I understand you use them for styling your hair.    Look into different hair styles that don't use them.    Youtube different hair styles, you'll be surprised how many videos are out there, type in your hair length & hair do's!!

Sixth tip: Give your hair a break from being styled & everything else you might do to your hair & let it rest a day or two at least a week.   Wear it down, or put a scarf/bandana on it! 

Seventh tip: What are you eating to build up your hair from the inside out.  It will help your skin too!  Drink lots of water!  Balanced healthy diet will help your whole body & heath. 

Don't look for results to happen overnight.   Some damage might take time to repair your hair & fix the problems.  I did not touch to much on skin care.  These tips can help some with the dry skin in the winter.  Some skin problems may need a little different care & help.  It's a little starting point for skin care.   Enjoy your journey to healthier hair & skin.


If what I offer here is relevant to you in any way, please consider donating. As I tend to my family (disabled hubby and homeschooled kids) I write in my free time. No knitting here but I love Taco Bell now and then and your donations help keep the spicy food coming. Every donation is appreciated!!!




Donations are not tax deductible.

No comments:

Post a Comment